Monday, June 7, 2010

Should I choose Bioinformatics??

I am facing a choice for my future career . VLSI or Bioinformatics.Since I have been admitted by 2 graduate schools for my PhD degree. They are Iowa state U for Bioinformatics(My major will be Electrical Engineering, but will do research in Bioinformatics) U of Illinois at Chicago.(My major will be VLSI and CAD) I don't know whether Bioinformatics would be hot in the future and if there are any companies in this area. and if there will be a high pay if I choose it. and currently I wanna go to industry rather than acdemica after Phd study. People say there are few job opportunities in bioinformatics , is that right?
Could someone now is doing bioinformatics give me some advice?

Advice from Expert:

A PhD program requires a lot of hard work and dedication, therefore it is really important to pick something that you enjoy doing. Don't pick a career because its hot, but rather because you have a pbottomion for it.
That being said, I bottomume your interest in bioinformatics is hardware related, such as the design of computing systems for running bioinformatics applications. Thus some things to consider are:
1) Is the EE knowledge you will be gaining in one field transferable to others- For example, scientists who work with protein structure often require advanced visualization capabilities. Would your knowledge of VLSI and CAD be transferable to this if you choose to go the Bioinformatics route later on? Likewise, is the architecture of a computing cluster or HPC platform designed for bioinformatics so unique that you couldn't use the knowledge to design such a system for another industry (Probably Not)?
2) Most university departments have faculty that work on different types of projects. Are you committed to studying just Bioinformatics or CAD at either program, or can you rotate through a few labs and try out a few areas of research?
3) Most schools have a list of recent graduates and where they find jobs. Perhaps you could compare lists or speak to some of these individuals to gain an idea of how graduates make out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails